Updated: Jul 21, 2021
I often speak to people who say they would love to practice yoga daily but for one reason or another do not manage to do so, here are my top tips for incorporating yoga into your daily life so that it becomes something you do without thinking.
Keep a yoga journal, I do not mean for you spend an hour after each session writing all about your practice (although feel free if this appeals to you), simply keep a short note of how you felt before and after practice, through this, you will naturally become aware of how a little bit of yoga will only ever serve you well and soon you will spend your day eager to get on the mat.
2. 5 minutes is enough, a daily yoga practice does not necessarily mean a 90 minute practice every night after a busy day at work followed by feeding and bathing the kids, 5 minutes of gently stretching or fountain of youth pose ( legs up the wall), will go a long way to soothing achy muscles or calming a frantic mind and still means you are incorporating yoga into your daily routine.
3. Try some different styles to see what suits you best. There are many different styles of yoga, if you find a slow paced hatha yoga class does not interest you, try a vinyasa flow or yin style class, or mix and match to suit what you need that day.
4. Start small, commit to practicing yoga daily for one week, and then a month and see where that leads you.
5. Partake in a few rounds of sunsalutations in a morning whilst you wait for your coffee to brew, there is honestly nothing yummier than stretching out the kinks that have formed after a night curled up in some strange twisted sleeping position.
6. Set yourself a challenge or target, for example practice a selection of postures that improve your posture or practice a pose you found challenging.
7. Monitor improvement through photos, eg. if you wish to be more open in the hips, take a photo before you begin working on the area and then weekly photos. If you can physically see proof that yoga is helping you in some way it is a sure fire way to keep you on track to practicing daily.
8. Yoga in bed, I mean really, does anything sound better, before you go to sleep or as soon as you wake up, sink into a few lovely stretches all in your pjs in the comfort of your bed.
9. Remember that yoga is so much more than the postures. Yoga is about a state of mind, its about breathing techniques, mindfulness, being at one with nature, appreciation, forgiveness and kindness to yourself and others, so if you don't feel like physically practicing poses one day, take a walk in the woods or have a bubble bath and listen to the sounds of the birds outside. There are so many ways to incorporate yoga into your daily life, the most important thing is doing what feels right for you today.
10. If you miss a day, or 3, don't give yourself a hard time, just pick up where you left off, and if you find it difficult to bring it back into your routine simply read through your journal and remind yourself why you choose to practice yoga daily, and remember its about the journey not the goal.
I hope you are able to put some of these into action, and if you do let me know what worked for you in the comments below.
love and happiness